What is Poloniex
Poloniex is a cryptocurrency exchange that allows users to trade various digital assets. The exchange was founded in 2014 and is based in the United States. The platform is known for its user-friendly interface and high level of security, including two-factor authentication and cold storage of user funds. Poloniex has endured a number of controversies over the years, including a hack in 2014 that resulted in the loss of about 12.3% of bitcoin holdings.
The history of Poloniex
Poloniex was founded in January 2014 by Tristan D’Agosta and was initially based in Wilmington, Delaware.
In 2016, Poloniex became the first cryptocurrency exchange to introduce the concept of “initial exchange offerings” (IEOs), which allowed new cryptocurrency projects to raise funds by selling their tokens directly on the Poloniex platform.
In early 2018, Circle, a Boston-based financial services company, acquired Poloniex for an estimated $400 million. Circle pledged to further improve the security and user experience of the exchange.
In late 2019, Circle announced that it was spinning off Poloniex into a new independent company called Polo Digital Assets, Ltd.
How Poloniex works
When a user places an order to buy or sell a cryptocurrency on Poloniex, the order is added to the order book, which is a record of all the open orders on the exchange. The order book displays the current buy and sell prices for each cryptocurrency and the volume of orders at each price level.
The Poloniex matching engine continuously scans the order book and matches buy and sell orders based on price and quantity.
When a user opens a margin position, they borrow funds from the exchange. If the trade is successful, the user can repay the borrowed funds and keep the profit. However, if the trade goes against them, they may be required to add more funds to their account to cover the losses.
In addition to trading, Poloniex also offers lending and staking services. Lending involves loaning cryptocurrency to other users on the exchange, while staking involves holding certain cryptocurrencies to earn rewards for helping to validate transactions on their respective blockchain networks.
Does Poloniex charge a fee
Yes, Poloniex charges fees for trading, lending, and other services on the platform.
Poloniex charges fees for margin trading, which range from 0.01% to 0.20% per day, depending on the trading pair and the amount of borrowed funds.
For lending, Poloniex charges a fee of 15% of the interest earned by the lender.
It’s worth noting that Poloniex’s fee structure is subject to change, and users should always check the latest fee schedule on the exchange’s website before trading or using any of its services.
How to use Poloniex
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use Poloniex to buy and sell cryptocurrency:
- Create an account: Go to the Poloniex website and click on the “Sign Up” button. Fill out the registration form and follow the instructions to verify your email address.
- Fund: Click on the “Balances” tab and select the cryptocurrency you want to deposit. Copy the deposit address and use it to send funds from your external wallet.
- Place an order: Click on the “Exchange” tab and select the trading pair you want to trade.
- Check your order status: Click on the “Orders” tab to check the status of your order. If it’s still open, you can cancel or modify it. If it’s been filled, the cryptocurrency will be added to your account balance.
- Withdraw your funds: Click on the “Balances” tab and select the cryptocurrency you want to withdraw. Make sure to double-check the address and transaction details before submitting the withdrawal request.
- Use other features: Poloniex also offers margin trading, lending, and staking services.
Note that Poloniex’s interface may look different depending on your device and screen size, but the basic steps should remain the same. Always exercise caution and do your own research before trading or using any cryptocurrency exchange or platform.
Want to buy Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), Litecoin (LTC) or Bitcoin Cash (BCH)? We recommend WELLCOINEX! WELLCOINEX.COM is the trusted way of exchanging money and buying cryptocurrencies!