What is Uphold
Uphold is a digital asset platform that allows users to buy, hold, convert, and transact a variety of different assets, including traditional currencies, cryptocurrencies, and commodities. Users can access Uphold through its web and mobile platforms, as well as via APIs. The platform is designed to be easy to use and accessible to people with little or no experience with traditional financial systems.
The history of Uphold
Uphold (formerly known as Bitreserve) was founded in 2013 by Anthony Watson, a former executive at companies such as Nike and Barclays. The company began as a platform for buying and holding bitcoin, but quickly expanded to include other digital assets such as litecoin, ether, and gold.
In 2014, Uphold launched a service that allowed users to convert between different digital assets, and in 2015, the company introduced a debit card that could be used to spend digital assets at merchants that accept Visa.
Uphold also introduced a new feature called “Cloud Money” which allowed users to hold any value in any currency, commodity, or cryptocurrency on the platform.
In 2017, Uphold announced that it had raised $57.5 million in a funding round led by venture capital firm Kokoro, and in 2018 the company had reached 1 million members
Uphold is still operating now and expanding its services.
How Uphold works
Uphold works by allowing users to deposit funds into their account using a variety of methods, including bank transfers, credit and debit cards, and cryptocurrencies. Once funds are deposited, users can then buy, hold, convert, and transact a variety of different assets, including traditional currencies, cryptocurrencies, and commodities.
To buy an asset, you simply select the asset you want to purchase and the amount you wish to spend. Uphold will then automatically calculate the current exchange rate and complete the transaction. Once the transaction is complete, the asset will be added to your Uphold account balance.
To convert an asset, you select the asset you want to convert and the asset you want to receive. Then, Uphold will automatically calculate the current exchange rate and complete the conversion.
To transact an asset, you can send the funds to other Uphold users or withdraw them to an external wallet or bank account.
Uphold also has a feature called “cloud money” which allows users to hold the value of any currency, commodity or cryptocurrency,
Uphold is a regulated company in multiple jurisdictions and also it has a strong focus on security and compliance.
Step 1: Sign up for an account
- Go to the Uphold website and click on “Sign Up”
- Enter your email address and create a password
- Verify your email address and complete the registration process.
Step 2: Verify your identity
- Uphold requires that you verify your identity before you can use the platform. This is to comply with anti-money laundering regulations.
- To verify your identity, you will need to provide a government-issued ID and a selfie.
Step 3: Add funds to your account
- Once you have verified your identity, you can add funds to your account using one of the available deposit methods, such as bank transfer, credit card, or cryptocurrency.
Step 4: Buy, hold or convert an asset
- Once your funds are in your Uphold account, you can buy, hold or convert an asset by selecting the option you want from the main menu.
- To buy an asset, select the asset you want to purchase, the amount you wish to spend, and Uphold will automatically calculate the current exchange rate and complete the transaction.
- To convert an asset, select the asset you want to convert and the asset you want to receive. Uphold will then automatically calculate the current exchange rate and complete the conversion.
- To hold an asset, you can use the “cloud money” feature, this allows you to hold any value in any currency, commodity, or cryptocurrency.
Step 5: Send or withdraw funds
- You can send funds to other Uphold users or withdraw them to an external bank account or wallet.
- To send funds, select the “Send” option from the main menu, enter the recipient’s email or Uphold username and the amount you wish to send.
- To withdraw funds, select the “Withdraw” option from the main menu, enter the destination and the amount you wish to withdraw.
It’s important to note that while Uphold is easy to use, you should always be aware of the risks associated with digital assets and should only invest what you can afford to lose.
Can Uphold be trusted
Uphold is a regulated company that operates in multiple jurisdictions and is subject to various laws and regulations. The company is also registered with FinCEN in the United States as a Money Services Business.
Uphold has implemented various security measures to protect its users’ assets, such as multi-sig wallets and cold storage. The platform also uses SSL encryption to protect the transmission of sensitive information.
Additionally, Uphold has undergone regular financial and security audits, and is a member of the CryptoCurrency Certification Consortium (C4) which is a professional association of cryptocurrency experts, businesses and organizations that has established a set of standards for the storage and transmission of cryptocurrency.
Uphold also has a strong focus on compliance and has implemented various policies and procedures to prevent money laundering and other illegal activities.
However, as with any financial service, it is important for users to do their own research and assess whether Uphold is a suitable platform for their needs. Users should also be aware of the risks associated with digital assets and should only invest what they can afford to lose.
Does Uphold charge a fee
Uphold charges fees for certain transactions and services. These fees may vary depending on the type of transaction or service, as well as the asset being used.
Here are some examples of the fees that Uphold may charge:
- Buying or Selling: Uphold charges a spread on the exchange rate when buying or selling an asset. The spread is usually around 1% but can be higher for some assets.
- Conversion: Uphold charges a conversion fee when converting between different assets. This fee is typically around 0.5% but can be higher for some assets.
- Withdrawals: Uphold charges a withdrawal fee when withdrawing funds to an external bank account or wallet. This fee can vary depending on the destination country and the type of withdrawal method used.
- Deposit: Some deposit methods may have additional fees, such as bank wire transfer fees.
- Card Transactions: Uphold charges a small fee on every transaction made with Uphold card.
It’s important to note that these fees may vary based on different factors and it’s always recommended to check Uphold’s website for the most up-to-date information about fees.
Uphold also offers a fee-free option for holding value, called “Cloud Money”, this allows you to hold any value in any currency, commodity, or cryptocurrency and you will not be charged any fees for holding the value, but you will be charged for buying, selling or converting the assets.
Can I exchange currency using Uphold
Yes, Uphold allows users to exchange one currency for another. To exchange currency on Uphold, you need to first deposit funds into your account using one of the available deposit methods, such as a bank transfer, credit card or cryptocurrency. Once your funds are in your Uphold account, you can then select the currencies you wish to exchange, and Uphold will automatically calculate the current exchange rate and complete the transaction.
Uphold supports a wide range of traditional currencies, including the US dollar, Euro, British pound, and Japanese yen, as well as several other major currencies. You can also exchange between different digital assets and commodities.
It’s important to note that Uphold’s exchange rates can fluctuate depending on the market conditions, so the rate you receive may be different from the rate quoted on the platform at the time of your transaction. Also, Uphold may charge a conversion fee for each transaction, which is usually around 0.5%.
Still not sure whether to use Uphold? You can always use WELLCOINEX instead of Uphold! We protect your privacy and help you to exchange your money fast and safely!