How ConsenSys works
What is ConsenSys
ConsenSys is a blockchain software technology company that was founded in 2014 by Joseph Lubin, one of the co-founders of the Ethereum blockchain. The company’s mission is to build decentralized applications and infrastructure for a more efficient, secure, and transparent world.
ConsenSys provides a wide range of blockchain-related services and products, including software development, consulting, education, and investment. The company has developed several decentralized applications (dApps) and tools, such as MetaMask, Infura, and Codefi, which are widely used by developers and companies in the blockchain industry.
In addition to its software and services, ConsenSys has also been actively involved in blockchain research and development, and has contributed to the development of several open-source blockchain protocols and standards. The company has also invested in several blockchain startups and projects through its venture arm, ConsenSys Ventures.
Overall, ConsenSys is a leading company in the blockchain industry, with a strong focus on Ethereum and the development of decentralized applications and infrastructure.
The history of ConsenSys
ConsenSys was founded in 2014 by Joseph Lubin, one of the co-founders of the Ethereum blockchain. Lubin was a former executive at Goldman Sachs and had been involved in the development of Ethereum since its early days.
The company started out as a small team of developers working on Ethereum-related projects, but quickly grew in size and scope. ConsenSys’s initial focus was on developing decentralized applications (dApps) on top of the Ethereum blockchain, and it quickly became one of the leading companies in the space.
In 2015, ConsenSys launched its flagship product, MetaMask, a browser extension that enables users to interact with dApps on the Ethereum blockchain. MetaMask quickly gained popularity among Ethereum users and has become one of the most widely used Ethereum wallets and browser extensions.
Since then, ConsenSys has expanded its offerings to include a wide range of blockchain-related products and services. The company has developed several other popular tools and dApps, including Infura, a service that provides access to Ethereum nodes, and Codefi, a suite of tools for developers and enterprises building blockchain-based applications.
ConsenSys has also been actively involved in blockchain research and development. The company has contributed to the development of several open-source blockchain protocols and standards, including the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance (EEA) and the ConsenSys Quorum blockchain.
Today, ConsenSys is one of the largest and most influential companies in the blockchain industry, with over 1,200 employees and offices around the world. The company continues to be a major contributor to the Ethereum ecosystem and is also expanding its offerings to include other blockchain platforms and technologies.
How ConsenSys works
ConsenSys is a blockchain software technology company that provides a wide range of products and services to help developers and enterprises build decentralized applications (dApps) on various blockchain platforms, with a particular focus on Ethereum.
ConsenSys operates in several different areas:
- Software Development: ConsenSys offers a range of software development services to help clients build custom blockchain solutions. The company’s development teams are skilled in a variety of programming languages and blockchain platforms, including Ethereum, Hyperledger, and Corda.
- Consulting: ConsenSys also provides consulting services to help clients understand and navigate the complex world of blockchain technology. This includes strategic planning, technical architecture design, and implementation services.
- Education: ConsenSys offers a variety of educational resources to help developers and enterprises learn about blockchain technology and how to build dApps. This includes training courses, online tutorials, and in-person workshops.
- Investment: ConsenSys Ventures is the venture arm of the company, which invests in blockchain startups and projects that are building innovative blockchain solutions.
- Products: ConsenSys has developed several popular blockchain products, including MetaMask, a browser extension for interacting with dApps on the Ethereum blockchain, Infura, a service that provides access to Ethereum nodes, and Codefi, a suite of tools for developers and enterprises building blockchain-based applications.
ConsenSys operates with a decentralized structure, with many of its employees working remotely around the world. The company values transparency, openness, and collaboration, and encourages its employees to participate in open-source projects and to contribute to the broader blockchain community.
Does ConsenSys charge a fee
ConsenSys may charge fees for its products and services, depending on the specific offering.
For example, ConsenSys offers an enterprise blockchain platform called Quorum, which is designed for use by large organizations. Quorum is available for a fee, which is typically based on the number of nodes and transactions being used.
ConsenSys also offers consulting and advisory services for clients looking to build blockchain-based solutions. These services may be provided on a project basis and are typically charged on a per-hour or per-project basis.
Additionally, ConsenSys is the parent company of several blockchain-based startups, such as Metamask and Infura, which may charge fees for their respective products and services.
Overall, whether or not ConsenSys charges a fee will depend on the specific product or service being offered.